Saturday, May 31, 2008

5/30

Had my knee surgeon and his uncle onboard yesterday for a full day of flyfishing for spring bass. We launched in Wellfleet and ran to points west and were greeted by acres and acres of rolling slurping bass on micro sandeels no more than 3/4" in length. A small olive white clouser on an intermediate brought instanst results and almost all takes were visual in early morning light. Most fish were in the mid twenty inch range with a few bigger mixed in. Bearboat was within sight and said he was into much bigger fish so it was good to hear they were not all schoolies....I went to the Cheese Locker on the drop to look for some bigger bass in 2' of water and we found 3 small groups all in the mid 30" range but couldn't deliver a fly in front of them when the opportunity presented itself....From there we ran and fished the last 3 hours of the drop down inside and managed 4 keepers on white bunny deceivers fished on 350 grn lines...On the way in we stopped at Brewster to fish low tide and site cast to the numerous schoolies on the flat....No real fish of any size spotted....All in all it was a great day flyfishing with the doctor and his uncle. I must admit the big fish are alluding me it seems so far this May and now that the majority of bugs are worked out of the new repower I can concentrate on the fish more than the rig! 2morrows trip was cancelled by a family emergency so looks like I got the day to PLAY and cast a bit myself....
On another front, the Pamet ramp is now open so I can concentrate more on my homewaters where I enjoy fishing more....
Unti next time...Keep it real...

No comments: