Monday, January 25, 2010

Cool Change......

I dig that song...In fact I have been digging it for 25 years. But as I move towards the half century mark I finally am starting to understand it's words. Life is so short....I was commenting to my wife today about our 5 year old daughter in how that I do not remember her being two years old. Time seems to stand still for the moment being but in reality it is FLYING BY at an incredible clip!! So as I near 50 I find myself scrambling. Scrambling for what I am not sure....But I know I am scrambling...Or scrambled in the mind!! I have done some crazy things of late....For one I bought a drum kit....Yeah a drum kit!!...Everybody I know is saying, "Hey I didn't know you played the drums"? I respond..."I DONT, BUT I WANT TO LEARN"! So here I am like a kid who just went to a rock concert and decided he wanted to be a ROCK STAR!...I know...silly....So I got the kit and I set it up the best I could....I assembled the whole thing and tuned it with my bionic ears....I can tell its still out of tune but I am not sure what. I've been banging on it for about 10 days now....My daughter the first couple days would exclaim..."STOP DADDY STOP"!!....Thanks to You Tube there are alot of beginning drum videos....It helps but the video rendering is not as fast as the audio rendering which makes following a beat kinda tough as do poor camera angles when taping the person performing the lesson. I am still looking for a local drum instructor but so far no dice....Somebody has got to want to teach me...I'm desperate!! HAH
What else have I done....I finally woke up and said I was sick of being FAT...yes FAT and out of shape....Being a charter captain all summer long is like driving a cab on the water...All u do is drive and eat....You get beat up physically but not in a good way that works fat from your body....I know u shouldn't live in the past and people get sick about hearing "yah in the day I used to blah blah blah"...But the truth is I was an athletic MACHINE into my early 30's...I used to body build and could bench 325 and eventually gave that up to race bicycles which I got very good at and raced and trained for over 10 years. You would never know it now...but there is a part of me that wan'ts that back to some degree...
Oh and the tattoo thing....My father would probably roll over in his grave if he found out what I was planning to have tattooed on me....I question why I wan't to do this....Is it rebellion of my baptist upbringing? Is it a midlife crisis or is it that maybe it's the simple fact that I am getting older and trying to hold onto my youth? "Ugggggggh"....Well we all knew the answer before I started blabbering. I guess I just had to write it to accept it!!...hahaha
I've been working out steadily and eating right since Dec 5th....I had some big gains in strength and lost weight the last two weeks but seem to have kind of hit a plateau....I may talk to a personal trainer 2morrow to see if we can mix it up a bit more to get my body losing weight again and getting stronger....I seem pretty focused and determined...I look forward to going to the gym and get pissed if I can't get there for some unforseen reason. There is HOPE!!....
For those of you scratching your head wondering where the latest fishing report is I apologize...It's coming....but until then your gonna have to deal with my craziness and mid life crisis!...;-)
Till next tide...

No comments: